Sunday, January 2, 2011

Its a bird, its a plane no it Locusts

Yesterday right before dusk, Jeff calls to me. "Honey, you have to see this." I join him outside to find him gazing up into the sky. Our Yucatan sky was full of big flying moth like bugs. Each bug was about 3-4 in length brown with short wings. Later found out it was a Locusts invasion..this is not good for the farmers here! Not just a few hundred but Millions and millions of them. The Yucatan is as flat as a pancake, not a hill in sight and if you are up high you can see forever. So up we went, to our roof that is. There wasn't a piece of sky that wasn't full of this flying creatures! They seemed to be hatching from the trees, because we could here crackling and then hundreds would fly out of the trees together. They were all flying in a northern direction and once the fluttering things flew out of the trees and up into the sky they would join in on the migration... It lasted about 20 minutes or so. I dont know if this is an annual event and I tried to do some research prior to the post but couldn't find anything out. Amazing!

I wish I had a close up, but they were just moving so dang fast...


  

2 comments:

  1. I shared your locust post with a naturalist who lives in a thatched hut behind Hacienda Chichen. He sent back a link which you and your readers might enjoy:

    http://www.backyardnature.net/yucatan/locusts.htm

    ~eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Eric-I have a link in the post to the article you are talking about...I think its no very noticeable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...