Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Finger

Not the middle finger, the bird or flipping someone off. No, none of those you potty mouths!  I'm talking about the Mexican chica finger. That's what I call it anyway. You know when your talking to your gal pal and she agrees with you about something and that pointer finger shoots up then begins the up and down motion as if saying yes with that finger. And then there's the side to side motion with that same finger which indicates "no, I don't think so". 
I love this, and have only seen it used since living here in Mexico. Or maybe I just never noticed it before. My daughter and I do it all the time now. My son tells me that men in Mexico think it's rude for a girl to do that to them and it should stay among the girls...???? Whatever the case, its cute. Do you do this? 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I do that. I think it's interesting how you mention that you don't remember your girlfriends doing it in the States. It's like your friend is really, really agreeing with you which feels good. Maybe that's why Italians use their hands so much when they talk. It brings more "feeling" to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you are talking about..LOL. I have never seen this or noticed it at least. I will have to pay more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Rebecca, next time you make it to GDL, you'll have to come over for a visit and we'll see if the "finger" comes out during our conversation. Maybe Erica is right and it's just something here in Mexico. Hee, hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was talking about this post with my Leah and she was telling me about when she was in 1st grade (in the states)the teachers taught the kids to say hi with their finger when passing in the halls (i never knew this)...to keep the noise level down you know. But we both agree...for sure a Mexico thing.
    @Rebecca-make sure and let me know the first moment you see it!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that except that I motion from the wrist so it's kinda close to a kiddie's bye-bye wave but with my pointer out.

    However, I hate the cold so much that I'm convinced the stork delivered me to the wrong country. I'm certain I was supposed to have been sent to Mexico, so maybe that's why I do it...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaa! I just stumbled on your blog! I married a guy from Mérida, where I lived for a year and a half and it is classic Mérida to use the finger to say yes or no! I do it a little. My husband does it! It is not just for the ladies!!! It cracks me up still.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...