Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving in Tixkokob Yucatan part 1

Thanksgiving preparation in Merida started Wednesday. JJ and I headed out about 25 miles to the Puebla of Tixkokob to begin making a Thanksgiving feast I was set to prepare for 17 of our new Yucatecan friends. JJ and I loaded the turkey and some of the ingredients I needed to make dinner. When the "combi" dropped us off  in the center of town we then boarded whats called a trisi, its a like a motor cycle with seats added to it. Trisis are the main way of transportation in Tixkokob and we all think they kick ass! I didnt have the address for Cathleen and Efrains house but its a pretty small town and everyone knowns everyone. So I walked up to the driver and asked if he new where the home of my friends was and I further went on to explain that Cathleen was from Canada, white and very tall. Ta-da..he knew exactly where they lived. She happens to be 1 of three expats that live there. Amazing...

Once I arrived we began making the yummy pies. 2 apple (I have to give credit to my son for peeling all of the apples), 1 cream cheese cherry...hey dont worry we also  had pumpkin but this year I bought it because I searched high and low for the pumpkin pie puree but had no luck. People thought I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about, so we resorted to buying a delicious one from Costco, except the 60 peso pie cost us 460 pesos because we also were due to renew our Costco membership. but it was well worth it, plus Leah said she would not participate in Turkey day if we didn't have pumpkin pie and I dont blame her. So I finished the pie crust and filled the pie and began on the yummy stuffing, deviled eggs and macaroni salad. All of my other dishes did not need to be prepared until the next day. We arrived at Cathleen's at 2pm and made it home at 9:30pm.......what a day. I loved every minute of it!

We planned for Thanksgiving dinner at 7pm and were invited to spend the night with our frineds, so that is what we ended up doing. All of us piled into a taxi with overnight bags and enough food to feed a mini army!



1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and the family! Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...